Top 5 Food and Beverage Trends for 2017
The top food and beverage predictions for 2017 are indicating that ‘clean and clear’ labelling, plant-based products and less sugar will be the biggest trends according to Innova Market Insights.
Lu Ann Williams, Director at Innova Market Insights, report that a continuing theme through trend forecasts in recent years, illustrate that “naturalness” and “clean labelling” will continue to be popular in 2017, with ‘clean labelling’, modifying also as ‘clear labelling’; with an emphasis on information clarity about the supply chain, going beyond the removal of artificial substance for foods.
Innova Market Insights top 5 food and beverage trends for 2017:
- Clean labelling: A clean and clear label is the new global standard with customers demanding more transparency. Customers want to know the entire supply chain history, including whether supply chain practices are environmentally friendly and treat animals well.
- Plant-based alternatives will become main stream: plant-based milk, meat alternatives and vegan options have rapidly moved into the mainstream, with more consumers looking into how they can incorporate these types of foods into their everyday diets.
- Balancing sugar intake: despite still being the main ingredient used by food manufactures to deliver the ‘right taste’ to consumers; sugar is under pressure. The challenge for food and beverage companies will be balancing taste with consumer’s demand for less sugar and cleaner labels.
- Authentic international cuisine: consumers will want ‘authentic’ traditional meals, meaning that pizza and pasta alone will not be enough to satisfy the demand for fancier cuisines. Consumers’ taste buds have evolved with the knowledge of international cuisines now just a couple of clicks away.
- Consumers will adapt diets to suit their health needs: consumers will experiment with special diets like paelo and low FODMAP, personalising their diet to enhance their health and wellbeing.
Source: ausfoodnews.com.au (21/112016) http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2016/11/21/top-five-food-and-beverage-trends-for-2017-innova-market-insights.html