MOCO Meats Update
• Processing numbers took a hit this month with producers taking advantage of good recent rainfall to hold on to stock. Heavy rainfall in the north affected the movement of livestock and as a result the EYCI moved upwards.
• On the upside, some record yarding numbers at saleyards in Roma and Dalby caused a frenzy amongst buyers and will result into an increase in slaughter numbers in the coming weeks and months.
• With the weather beginning to cool this month we have taken advantage of the popular slow cooking cut, The Point End Brisket (28961). The Tender Valley Brand which is derived from Grain Fed 200-day Black Angus is gaining in popularity and on special this month at $8.99/kg. This is sure to be a hit whether you’re a low and slow BBQ smoker, or braising. Best to move ASAP to get on to this.
• There are some signs that lamb slaughter numbers are beginning to rise which means possible relief on pricing. The surety now and leading for the rest of 2018 is that carcase weights are on the rise.
• Favourable livestock and grazing practices moving forward could signal the end of the “trade lamb” which has been a mainstay of butcher shops for some time. Trade lamb weights have declined from the traditional range of 18-22kg, now sitting at national average of 22.8kg and heading higher.
• This is great news for consumers looking for the larger eye muscle of the Rack/Loin cuts and could change the way cuts are processed in retail and foodservice.
• On offer this month is a fantastic Lamb Rack (25102) French Trim and Cap ON. Priced to move at $21.99/kg, there is only a very small supply of these, so it would be suggested that customers place orders early to avoid disappointment.
• Pork numbers are still in a good position with Pork Loin, Shoulder and Leg cuts still proving their popularity as a genuine alternative to traditional red-meat proteins on foodservice menus. Once again, a decline in the slaughter of sows and sensible farming practices have resulted in solid numbers moving forward.
• On offer this month are Pork Legs (13255) With a steady supply, these are proving very popular for carveries and club roasts. Ready to sell at $5.49/kg. Why not order a carton today!